Clean water and our public lands are critical to the well-being, quality of life, and economic prosperity of our entire state. That rings every bit as true here in District 48. As a citizen, business owner, and sportsman, I have always been proactive and strong on environmental issues. That philosophy has carried through in my time as your state Senator. During my time in the Senate, I have become known for having a strong environmental record. Listed below are just a few of the reasons why.
Following are some of my accomplishments that help protect our environment...
- As a legislator and as a previous board member, I have worked with the Friends of the Ecusta Trail to advocate for the conversion of an abandoned rail line to a greenway
- Established Pisgah View, State Park, Buncombe county's first and only state park
- Established funding for recreational water testing in Western North Carolina
- Increased funding to the Clean Water Management Trust Fund and the Parks and Recreation Trust Fund
- Created the Viable Utility Reserve to help rural communities repair failing water and sewer infrastructure
- Supported increased funding for the fight to protect our mountain Hemlocks against the Woolly Adelgid
- Established funding for petroleum leak remediation from unknown sources
- Helped add 6,880 megawatts of renewable energy into North Carolina's energy portfolio
- Supported the Outdoor Experiential Science Education program that provides teachers with funds for multi-day workshops to increase their use of the outdoors in teaching required curricula, and aids them in taking students on experiential field trips to State Parks.
- Supported Dupont State Forest funding towards the development of a master plan that will look at how to grow the outdoor attraction in a way that incorporates numerous outdoor activities and interests
- Supported the creation of the French Broad River Paddle Trail that would expand fishing and camping tourism, with improvements in Transylvania, Henderson, Buncombe, and Madison counties.
- Supported the Green River Game Lands to improve public access to a popular recreation area in Henderson and Polk counties
- Created legislation that directed the N.C. Department of Agriculture and N.C. Department of Wildlife to conduct a study in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service to develop a plan to address the documented population decline of wildlife on state and federal managed land
- Supported funding for Prescribed Burning Grants to rejuvenate matured forest lands and to help address invasive plant species
- Helped create an outdoor equipment marketing fund to assist in attracting outdoor gear manufacturing companies to NC
- After the devastating mountain wildfires, I helped obtain funding to purchase an additional firefighting aircraft, a resource that is critical to protecting our citizens, their property, and our great outdoors.
- Single-handedly killed a provision in a Senate regularity reform bill that would once again allow electronics containing heavy metals back into landfills.